Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mind On My Money


I knew this day was coming and I was dreading it.  At some point I was going to have to prepare myself to face the fact that we have been running on empty for a while financially and have finally run out of gas.  We're sitting on the side of the highway of life with an empty gas tank and a dead battery to boot.

Job loss, failed business, unemployment, lay off have really put us behind and I seriously feel like we're in a deep dark hole.  We ran through every bit of savings and retirement that we had.  If fact we haven't been climbing out of our hole, we have been just sitting in it slowly sinking and ignoring the fact that muck had now risen to our eyeballs.  So today I took the first step and reactivated an old account that I had at Total Money Makeover.  I had started the Dave Ramsey program almost a year ago exactly and just as we had finished reading the books and understanding the program all heck broke.  While we adopted some general ideas of the program it never really took hold for us.  We couldn't focus on getting ahead we were just trying to put one foot in front of the other and hang on for dear life.

So, here we are and to be honest I don't know where here is exactly.  I've been so afraid to look at how far and how bad things have gotten that I have no idea how deep is deep.  Today, spurred on by some encouragement of some friendly sympathetic fellow hole dwellers as well as some reformed ones I took the very first step in getting myself out of this quagmire.

I decided today that as much as I can help it I never will be in the place ever again!  Things change today.

No comments:

Post a Comment